Welcome to World of Yarn!

This is my blog dedicated to the craft of crochet. I love to crochet and have spent a significant portion of my life doing it. I plan to use this platform to put up my original patterns for free for anyone who might be interested in trying them. Don't forget to let me know if you have tried them and what you think!

Monday, February 25, 2019

Skull Squares Afghan

Halloween in my favorite time of the year. It's when the craft bug really takes a big bite of my soul  and I can't wait to create some super fun Halloween stuff for my home. 

This year I tried my hand at crocheting a skull square so I could put together an afghan to show off to my friends. I have received so many compliments on this afghan that I decided to write up the pattern for anyone who is interested in adding this spooky little throw to their Halloween decor. 


What you’ll need:
Hook, size H
Scissors
Large Darning needle
Yarn in 8 spooky colors.*


* For the skulls themselves I used 2 different shades of gray, beige and white. For the square surrounding the skulls I used green, purple, orange, and black. For joining squares and the border I used more black. I think these are all excellent Halloween colors, but you can basically do whatever colors you please. Just be sure to get the same worsted weight so all your squares end up the same size. (Note: For photos and videos I used different colors that are easier to see individual stitches, for ease of learning.)

Skull portion:
Step 1:Ch 12, sl st in beginning  ch to make a loop.
Step 2: Ch another 12, sl st in 12th ch (end of first loop) to create another loop. This should look like a number 8 (or eyes, as that’s what they will be).

 Step 3: Sc in first 3 ch, 2 sc in 4th ch, sc in the next 3 ch, 2 sc in next ch, sc in next 3 ch, 2 sc in next ch. (15 sc)
Step 4: Repeat step 3 but in second loop.(15 sc)
Step 5: sl st in 5 sts to reach the outer edge of one of the loops, ch 1, turn.


 Step 6: sc (in same st as ch), sc in next 2 sts, ch 4, skip 3 sts, sc in next 2 sts, ch 1, turn. ( 3 sc, skip 3,ch 4, 3 sc)
Step 7: Sc in first 3 sts, 4 sc in chain space, sc in next 3 sts, (do not ch 1), turn.(10 sc)


 Step 8: skip first st, sl st in next 2 sts, ch 4 (counts as tc), tc in next 4 sts, ch 1, turn. 
(skip, 2 sl st, ch 4, 4 tc)


Step 9: sc in each tc. (5 sc)
Step 10: Fasten off. (you should have now formed the skull eyes, nose, and mouth area.)


 Step 11: At top of the eyes, find st in center and count 5 sts to the right and put a sl st in that st.


Step 12: Sc in same st as join, sc in next 9 st, (do not ch 1), turn. (10 sc)
Step 13: Skip 1st st, sc in next 8 sts, (do not ch 1), turn. (8 sc)
Step 14: Skip 1st st, sc in next 7 sts, (do not ch 1), turn. (7 sc) 


 Step 15: Skip 1st st, sc in each sc around entire skull, being as even as possible, to make 48 total sts. *Be sure to put 2 sc in each corner (each cheekbone, and bottom of teeth, 4 corners in all). Sl st in first sc. (48 sc)
Step 16: Fasten off. Weave in ends.


Turning the skull into a square:

Step 1: Join at top of skull in first stitch on right hand side, 2 sc (starting in same st as join) in first 5 sts, hdc in next st, dc, ch 2. (10 sc, hdc, dc, 2ch)


Step 2: dc in same st as previous to make a corner, dc in next st, hdc in next st, sc in next 9 sts, hdc in next st, dc in next st, tc in next 4 sts, ch 2. (2 dc, hdc, 9sc, hdc, dc, 4 tc, 2 ch)


Step 3: Tc in same st as previous tc to form corner then dc in same st as well, 2 dc in next 5 sts, dc and tc in next st, ch 2.(tc, 12 dc, tc)
Step 4: Tc in same st as previous to form corner, tc in next 3 st, dc in next st, hdc in next st, sc in next 9 sts, hdc in next st, dc in next 2 st, ch 2. (4 tc, dc, hdc, 9 sc, hdc, 2 dc, 2 ch)


Step 5: Dc in same st as previous to form final corner, dc in next st, hdc in final st, sl st with original st to join, ch 1, turn. Your skull should now be encased in a square. (2 dc, hdc)
Step 5: Sc in each st remember to add 2 chains at each corner, join at start, fasten off. (65 sc)

Step 6: Weave in ends.


To make an afghan:
Step 1: Repeat all previous steps to create 16 squares of each of the 4 color variations, making 64 squares in total (or more if you prefer a larger afghan).
Step 2: Arrange squares any way you find suitable, or to arrange as I have done, see photo. 


Step 3: It is time to connect squares. I used black yarn for this and the border, but you can use whatever you like. You can join squares using the slip stitch method, or any other method you prefer. But the easiest way that I have found, and that I used for this particular afghan, is do it with single crochet. I no longer remember where I picked up this method, but I definitely use it most often when joining squares. To see how it is done, check out the video below.


Step 4: Once all your squares have been joined to create a lovely afghan, you may want to put on border to create a more finished look. All I did for my border was a single row of double crochet around the entire afghan in black, making sure to chain 2 on corners. Don’t forget to weave in all your ends!  

This afghan really isn’t as difficult as it looks. It didn’t take me much time at all as I would create squares almost absent minded while watching TV or listening to music. Just think, next Halloween you could have an awesome skull afghan to display, that everyone will love. I get many compliments from guests, and even a few requests to buy it from me! I know you will love it just as much as I do. 

3 comments:

  1. Love this pattern. I am going to make one for my niece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Pattern thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so COOL! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete